No matter where you go in a motorhome hire in Australia, you’re bound to find beauty and adventure. Australia is a place that is rich in wildlife and nature and great culture. Whether you visit national parks or choose to travel wine country, it’s going to be a fulfilling experience.
A great idea for those who have already been to the major attractions like Sydney and Melbourne is to road trip in a motorhome hire from Adelaide to Barossa Valley. If you have a lot of time to work with, you’ll be able to visit many more places, but this stretch is a great place to start.
You’ll want to learn as much as possible about what to do beforehand to ensure that you get the most out of your trip.To help you plan, here are some great experiences to be had as you travel from Adelaide to Barossa Valley:
- Enjoy hot air balloons. A hot air balloon ride is always exciting and even more so when it’s over the Barossa Valley. This is truly a one-of-a-kind experience where you can get a bird’s eye view of this uniquely beautiful area of Australia. Because you’ll be in wine country, it’s a great opportunity to enjoy a glass of champagne or wine as you “sail” above the hills and wineries. Whatever you do, don’t forget to bring your phone or camera to capture this incredible moment.
- Hike or bike the Barossa Trail. If you like your feet planted firmly on the ground or at least near the ground, you may want to give the Barossa Trail a go. You can hike between the towns of Angaston, Nurioootpa, Tanunda and Lyndoch, or take the cycling trail to explore. Whether you want to go slowly to enjoy the scenery or cycle through quickly to get to the various wineries in the area, it’s going to be a satisfying and unique experience.
- Explore Chateau Tanunda. If you’re only going to visit one place in the Barossa Valley, make it the Chateau Tanunda. It is the most iconic winery in the Barossa Valley and the largest one in the country. Not only is the estate itself quite fabulous, but the wine is worth trying as well. From special events to spectacular wines, you will want to make this winery a highlight for your Adelaide-Barossa Valley trip.
- Take a winery tour. If you want to enjoy more than just the Chateau Tanunda and truly take advantage of being in the Adelaide-Barossa Valley, you will want to take a winery tour. There are different areas where you can find great wineries in Australia, but the Barossa Valley and the surrounding areas are by far the most popular places for wine lovers. Some great wineries that you should check out during your day trip are Concordia Estate, Jacobs Creek, Yalumba, and Penfolds, just to name a few. If you really want to go all out with wine tasting, visit all the wineries in the area, because, why not? You only live once.
- Check out the Whispering Wall. It isn’t nature and it isn’t a winery, but the Whispering Wall still gets a whole lot of visitors. Located near Williamstown at the Barossa Reservoir, this back-up water supply is actually a dam and because of it’s height draws people from all over to enjoy a unique experience. It gets its name from the fact that if you say something in a whisper from one side of the wall, it can be heard on the other side. That’s right, a whisper can be heard from nearly 140 meters away. If you’re looking for something different to do with your kids while traveling throughout Australia, you’ll want to make sure to stop on by the Whispering Wall.
As you can see, there is plenty to do around the Adelaide to Barossa Valley area. While the two places aren’t far from each other, there is enough to keep you busy for a long time. You can even stay in your RV in the Barossa Valley to truly take advantage of the experience and do all that there is to do in the area.
Whether Australian wines are high on your list of things to try while in the area or you want to explore the Barossa trail, there is something for everyone. You can enjoy the area even while traveling with kids if you make the Whispering Wall and trekking your focus. Or, if it’s just you and your sweetheart, enjoy a romantic getaway.
As you travel throughout the area in a campervan hire, you will have the opportunity to truly enjoy the area. So after picking up your campervan hire in Adelaide, stop on by as many wineries as you like, but most of all, enjoy your time in one of Australia’s most charming destinations.